Thursday, March 31, 2005

A Long Goodbye



My heart breaks for Terri's parents, Mary and Bob Schindler, and her siblings, Suzanne and Bobby.

They've lost a beloved daughter and sister. Although it has been fifteen years now since Terri suffered the heart attack that resulted in her severe brain damage and she was incapable of expressing herself the way she once did, it is no less painful and no less devastating.

My grandmother died after a prolonged illness. Toward the end of her life, she was unable to recognize me. She couldn't speak or feed herself. None of that mattered.

Although ravaged by disease, she was still the woman I adored when I was a child. She was still the woman of great strength and wisdom that I cherished as a young adult. My love for her transcended what befell her physically.

Anyone who adheres to the notion that Terri's family really lost her long ago is wrong.

The finality of death comes with a jolt, even when there is ample warning and the goodbye is long.

Terri did not die fifteen years ago. Her death began on March 18, 2005, when Judge Greer agreed with Michael Schiavo and ordered that nutrition and hydration be withheld from her. They finished her execution today, March 31.

"Death, where is they sting?" Maya Angelou answers, "It is here in my heart and mind and memories."

If what I experienced with my grandmother is similar, I can say that Terri's condition in no way diminished the love her family has for her.

Their mourning will be no less intense than if Terri had died fully cognizant, because illness or disability cannot overcome love.

Tragically, a grave injustice has been done in Terri's case. That must make this moment unbearable for her loved ones.

I pray the Schindlers find comfort and peace knowing that while they can no longer hug Terri, she is in God's arms now.

No comments:

Post a Comment