Friday, March 24, 2006

WHAT?

I'm stunned.

Scott Walker dropped out of the Wisconsin race for governor.

Just yesterday, I received The Walker Weekly email about the latest news from the campaign.


Walker's Statement

Failing to meet fund-raising goals was the reason that Walker gave for his withdrawal. In addition to words of thanks to his supporters, Walker gave his full endorsement to Mark Green.

The
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports:

"In the end I love this state too much to see Jim Doyle elected to another term," Walker said. "A campaign that does not focus on Doyle before the primary will almost certainly insure his re-election. To me, that outcome is unacceptable."

...In December, after nearly a year of campaigning, Walker acknowledged that Green was better-financed, better-organized statewide and might be winning over more party insiders and officials.

But he vowed in a year-end interview to run as an underdog battling party insiders. He steadfastly declared his intention to stay in the race, saying he was best positioned to take on Doyle.

On Friday, as he bowed out, Walker said: "I thought that I would make one heck of a good governor."

It's all about money.

McCain-Feingold finance reform is a joke, but it can't be denied that money trumps a candidate's qualities, abilities, and ideas when it comes to running a successful campaign.

As a result, some of the most highly qualified individuals don't stand a chance. There's something terribly wrong with that.

I think Walker would make "one heck of a good governor." I'm sorry to see him drop out of the race. I can't stand that "what might have been" feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment