Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Wisconsin Libs Mock Religion

When Republican Scott Walker dropped out of the race for governor of Wisconsin, a portion of his statement announcing his withdrawal referenced his faith.

Walker said:

"Early last year, we jumped into the race together after a great deal of prayer. I believe that it was God's will for me to run. After a great deal of prayer during the past week, it is clear that it is God's will for me to step out of the race."

Is it a surprise that some liberal Dems would jump on Walker's remarks and ridicule his faith?

Not at all.

This is indicative of the moral chasm that divides the state and the nation. On one hand, you have a faction that respects the deeply held religious beliefs of people. On the other hand, you have a group that derides people of faith.

Yesterday, Walker responded to those that chose to make fun of the role God plays in his life.

Walker explained:

Like any other important decision in my life, my family and my faith were the key. Last January, I looked at the facts, spoke with political advisors and then talked and prayed about the decision with my family. My conclusion was to get into the race for Governor.

Last week, after looking at the facts and speaking with our political advisors, I talked about it and then prayed about it with my family. My conclusion was to bow out of the race for Governor.

...Too often cynics like to blur the statements of believers into implying that we think that God chooses sides in elections. To me, God does not seem to pick sides in elections as much as He calls us to be on His side.

That's a lesson that applies to life far beyond the world of politics.


Once again, Walker reveals the quality of his character. He is a principled and admirable man.

Here's a sample of reaction to Walker's references to God:

Cory Liebmann, of Eye on Wisconsin, exhibits his lack of respect for Walker's religious beliefs, and people of faith in general.

He writes:

God Changes Mind, Endorses Doyle

...First of all, I’m shocked that God endorsed Walker in the first place. You would think that this endorsement would have made some news in his hometown paper that is usually fawning over him. Walker did not care to advise us as to why God changed his mind or whom he has now chosen for Governor. I’m going to assume that his choice is now Jim Doyle.

...It does not take long to know that I am by no means a Walker fan. I think that he is way too obsessed with his political future. I think that he only became County Executive to position himself for a run at governor. I think that he has helped to bring economic disaster to Milwaukee County.

...Conventional wisdom tells us that Walker getting out of the race is good for Green and the Republicans. This analysis is probably more true than false. However, one good thing about this development is that I now get to focus much more attention on Mark Green. Given his voting record, ties to indicted congressmen, and possible ties to a convicted lobbyist, I will likely need this extra time. Thanks Scott Walker, and thank you God!

Clearly, Liebmann unfairly characterizes what Walker said. He never claimed that "God endorsed" him.

I don't find humor in Liebmann's snide remarks about God's supposed change of heart regarding Walker's candidacy. I don't find his jibes about the lack of media of coverage on God's new choice for governor to be witty.

They are a tasteless affront to ALL people who pray and look to God.


Bill Christofferson, of The Xoff Files, seizes on Liebmann's jeers, highlighting the obnoxious post.

What we have here is a potent reminder of the great divide between conservatives and liberals when it comes to values.

The self-proclaimed enlightened, sophisticated liberal Dems are out of touch.

It's not in their best interests politically to draw attention to the fact that they are mockers of the faithful.


No comments:

Post a Comment