Sunday, August 12, 2007

Tommy Thompson: "It is what it is"

On Sunday, Tommy Thompson made it official.

It's over. He's out of the '08 presidential race.

From The New York Times:

After a sixth-place finish in Saturday’s Iowa Straw Poll, Tommy Thompson, the four-term governor of Wisconsin and former secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, said he was ending his presidential bid.

Mr. Thompson’s campaign issued a statement tonight confirming his decision to drop out of the race:
“I want to thank the people of Iowa who were welcoming and supportive as well as my volunteers and contributors from around the country,” Mr. Thompson said in the statement. “I have no regrets about running. I felt my record as Governor of Wisconsin and Secretary of Health and Human Services gave me the experience I needed to serve as President, but I respect the decision of the voters. I am leaving the campaign trail today, but I will not leave the challenges of improving health care and welfare in America.”

Read more of the statement from Thompson's campaign here.

And from Fox 6:



Tommy Thompson dropped out of the race for the presidency in 2008 Sunday. He spoke with FOX 6's Ted Perry about his decision to drop out.

Thompson told Perry, "I'm outta the race."

He says, "my campaign was completely shocked. We absolutely thought we were coming in second [at the Iowa Straw Poll]. We had no doubt in our minds. The worst we thought we'd come in was third and it didn't happen that way. Something happened between the 50-yard line and the goal line. They pulled a reverse on us and we didn't see it coming."

Thompson says he's happy he got in the race. He brought many several issues to the forefront including Iraq. While Thompson isn't endorsing any Republican candidate for president yet, he has been approached by some of them.

Perry asked Thompson if he plans on having his name on a ballot again.

Thompson joked, "I still plan on running for mayor of Elroy." (Elroy is Thompson's hometown.)

He was serious when he said that he would "never say never" as far as running for elected office again. He left the door open.

Thompson really was remarkably poised and philosophic about his failed campaign.

He was disappointed but without regrets. He was pleased that he was able to get his message out even if the voters didn't turn out for him.

The Thompson campaign press release states:

Thompson will return to the private sector as well as his non-profit work after a brief time off.

"I have very much enjoyed my years in public service and I am comforted by the fact that I think I made a difference for people during that time. I hope to continue working to serve others over the next few years," said Thompson.

Thompson should be proud of all that he's accomplished.

Unfortunately, ideas, experience, dedication, and working tirelessly aren't enough to give one a chance at becoming the president.

Money and media attention are everything.

That's too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment