Monday, October 31, 2005

White House Press Briefing Drama



David Gregory and Terry Moran are acting more like mean girls than journalists.

Today, they ganged up on Scott McClellan with a cruelty that was personal, like a group of mean junior high school girls tearing the unpopular girl to shreds.

They were rude and disruptive, to the point where McClellan could barely respond to their questions.

Gregory and Moran seemed positively bent on discrediting Scott McClellan. Their mission may not have been orchestrated, but they acted as a tag team.

It appears that the combative Gregory and Moran are not satisfied with attacking Bush and Cheney and administration policy. Instead, they stuck to their "culture of corruption" theme and tried to chip away at the administration by going after the Press Secretary.

Rather than attempt to kill the snake by cutting off its head, Gregory and Moran chose to go after the tail by coming down on McClellan.

They got really nasty, like mean girls.

Transcript

Gregory posed the first question to McClellan. It turned into a lengthy dialogue. Gregory monopolized the beginning of the briefing with his self-serving, overly dramatic game of gotcha.

As in past exchanges, the transcript really doesn't do Gregory's snippy delivery justice. To get a better understanding of just how annoyingly he acted, you should watch the video, available at the White House site.

Q = David Gregory


Q Some Democrats say that the President should apologize for the role of some administration officials in the unmasking of the name of a CIA undercover operative. What's the White House reaction to that?

MR. McCLELLAN: First of all, there is a legal proceeding that continues right now, and under our legal system, there is a presumption of innocence. We need to let that legal process continue. If people want to try and politicize this process, that's their business.

Q Well, I think that the role of some administration officials in this, in the leaking of the person's name has been established.

MR. McCLELLAN: I think you're presuming things in that question, and I don't think while this investigation and this legal proceeding is ongoing, that we should make such presumptions. We should let that process continue.

Q Another part of that is, some of the same Democrats are saying that the President should fire Karl Rove. What's your reaction to that?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, there is an ongoing investigation; we need to let that investigation continue. We need to let the legal process work. As I indicated to you all on Friday, our Counsel's Office has directed us not to discuss this matter while it continues, and that means me not responding to questions about it from this podium. This is a process that we need to let continue. There is, as I said, a presumption of innocence in our legal system, and we don't want to do anything from here that could prejudice the opportunity for there to be a fair and impartial trial. I think that's the basis of our legal system.

And in terms of comments that people are making, again, I think they're presuming things and trying to politicize the process. But that's their business. We're going to let the legal process work.

Q Let me just follow up on an aspect of this and try it again here. On October 7, 2003, you were asked about a couple of the key players here, Karl Rove and Scooter Libby, as well as another administration official who has not figured in the investigation, so far as we know. And you said the following, "There are unsubstantiated accusations that are made, and that's exactly what happened in the case of these three individuals," including Rove and Libby. "They're good individuals, they're important members of our White House team, and that's why I spoke with them, so that I could come back to you and say that they were not involved." You were wrong then, weren't you?

I object! Leading the witness...

MR. McCLELLAN: David, it's not a question of whether or not I'd like to talk more about this. I think I've indicated to you all that I'd be glad to talk about this once this process is complete, and I look forward to that opportunity. But, again, we have been directed by the White House Counsel's Office not to discuss this matter or respond to questions about it.

Q That was a public representation that was made to the American people.

MR. McCLELLAN: Hang on. We can have this conversation, but let me respond.

Q No, no, no, because it's such an artful dodge. Whether there's a question of legality --

"Artful dodge"?

Good grief.


MR. McCLELLAN: No, I disagree with you.

Q Whether there's a question of legality, we know for a fact that there was involvement. We know that Karl Rove, based on what he and his lawyer have said, did have a conversation about somebody who Patrick Fitzgerald said was a covert officer of the Central Intelligence Agency. We know that Scooter Libby also had conversations.

MR. McCLELLAN: I don't think that's accurate.

Q So aside from the question of legality here, you were wrong, weren't you?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, David, if I were to get into commenting from this podium while this legal proceeding continues, I might be prejudicing the opportunity for there to be a fair and impartial trial. And I'm just not going to do that. I know very --

Q You speak for the President. Your credibility and his credibility is not on criminal trial. But it may very well be on trial with the American public, don't you agree?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, I'm very confident in the relationship that we have in this room, and the trust that has been established between us. This relationship --

Q See those cameras? It's not about us. It's about what the American people --

MR. McCLELLAN: This relationship is built on trust, and you know very well that I have worked hard to earn the trust of the people in this room, and I think I've earned it --

Q Is the President -- let me just follow up on one more thing.

This guy doesn't deserve the courtesy of a follow up. He should be given a time out until he learns how to behave like a big boy and play nice.

MR. McCLELLAN: -- and I think I've earned it with the American people.

Q Does the President think that Karl Rove did anything wrong?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I think it would be good for you to allow me the opportunity to respond to your questions without jumping in. I'm glad to do that. I look forward to the opportunity --

Q I haven't heard a response.

Maybe Gregory needs some Ritalin to help him with his attention problems.

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, no, I have been responding to you, David, and there's no need -- you're a good reporter, there's no need to be rude or disrespectful. We can have a conversation and respond to these questions, if you'll just give me the opportunity to respond. I'm glad to do that.

We need to let this legal process continue. The special counsel indicated the other day that it is ongoing. And that's what we're going to do from this White House. That's the policy that we have set for quite some time now.

Q In the year 2000, the President said the following: "In my administration, we will ask not only what is legal, but what is right; not just what the lawyers allow, but what the public deserves." Doesn't the American public deserve some answers from this President about the role of his Vice President in this story and what he knew and when he knew it, and how he feels about the conduct of his administration?

"What he knew and when he knew it."

Shades of Watergate once again.

When will the libs stop interpreting the happenings of 2005 as if it were 1973?


MR. McCLELLAN: The American people deserve a White House that is committed to doing their work. We are focused on the priorities of the American people. As the President indicated Friday, we've got a job to do, and we're going to do it. We're going to continue to focus on our efforts to protect the American people and to spread prosperity here at home. We're going to move forward on the Supreme Court nomination.

People in this White House fully understand what's expected of them. We are expected to focus on the people's business, first and foremost, and that's what we always do. We're also expected to adhere to the highest ethical standards. People understand that in this White House. That's what the President expects, and that's what the American people expect. And we've got a great team here, and we'll continue to adhere to those standards.

Do you get the feeling that Gregory has been watching tapes of Dan Rather at Watergate era press conferences? I think he's emulating the disrespectful, uncivilized style of Rather.

Gregory's hissy fit, arming himself with those quotes in hopes of proving McClellan to be a liar and demanding that McClellan admit that he was wrong, was an embarrassment to NBC.


His dramatic gesturing and emoting, "See those cameras? It's not about us. It's about what the American people --" belonged on Days of our Lives, not at the White House press briefing. NBC's chief White House correspondent is quite the drama queen.

A somewhat shorter exchange with John Roberts of CBS followed the Gregory audition for The West Wing. Roberts began by issuing an apology to McClellan.

He said, "Scott, on the subject of rude, my apologies for my unfortunate choice of words this morning to you."

Roberts has been stumbling around trying to undo the damage from his vulgar, unprofessional behavior in a press gaggle that took place in the morning. Perhaps Roberts was sincere. Perhaps he was playing to the cameras. Who knows?

Drudge reported:


John Roberts: "So, Scott, you said that -- or the President said, repeatedly, that Harriet Miers was the best person for the job. So does that mean that Alito is sloppy seconds, or what?"

Scott McClellan: "Not at all, John."

"Sloppy seconds" is described in the United Kingdom’s A Dictionary of Slang as:

Noun: "A subsequent indulgence in an activity by a second person involving an exchange of bodily fluids. This may involve the sharing of drink, or more often it applies to a sexual nature. E.g. 'I’m not having sloppy seconds, I want to shag her first.'"

In addition to sounding vulgar, Roberts sounded stupid. He revisited his morning question without the "unfortunate" choice of words.

Roberts: ...I think the question bears asking again, and that is that the President said repeatedly when he nominated Harriet Miers that she is the best person for the job. Does that in any way indicate that while Sam Alito may be well-qualified for the Supreme Court, he is not, as was described of Harriet Miers, the best person?

What a stupid, stupid question!

Roberts needs to take remedial classes in logic and English.

Then, it was Terry Moran's turn to pick up where Gregory left off, pounding away on the "McClellan is untrustworthy" message.


Q = Terry Moran

Q Scott, let me follow up on what David was asking. You say we know you -- and we do -- but we can't vouch for you; that's not our job. And I wonder, do you really think after --

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, wait a second. Let me just interject there. I think there are many people in this room I see expressing their own commentary on TV all the time -- not just reporting. You do a job to report the news, as well, but many people in this room also go on the air and express their views and their commentary. And I've worked with many of you for quite some time now.

Q I didn't follow that. I can't go on TV and say, "America believes Scott McClellan." That's not my role.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, you go on TV, though, and engage in commentary about views and things that are expressed here at the White House.

Q Right. But what I can't do is carry your water for you. And I wonder --

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm not asking you to.

Q Well, there -- yes you are.

What is Moran talking about?

Are you aware of Americans demanding that Moran stop carrying water for McClellan?

I guess I'm out of the loop.


MR. McCLELLAN: I'm just asking you to speak to who I am. And you know who I am.

Q There's been a wound to your credibility here. A falsehood, wittingly or unwittingly, was told from this podium. And do you really believe that the American people should wait until the conclusion of all of this process and just take on trust everything that comes from that podium now, without the explanation and the answer that you say you want to get --

Why should the American people trust everything that comes out of Moran's mouth? Why take anything he says on trust?

If Moran wants to get into the issue of trust, maybe he should begin with a little personal reflection.


MR. McCLELLAN: There are a lot of facts that still are not known in this investigation and in this legal proceeding that is ongoing. We also have to work under the presumption of innocence in our legal system. And, again, the reason I can't comment further is because if we were to get into that, we could be prejudicing the opportunity for there to be a fair and impartial hearing.

Q I understand that.

MR. McCLELLAN: And we don't want to do that from this podium. No matter how much I may want to talk about this issue -- and I think you know that I would like to talk further about it -- but I have enough confidence in my relationship with you all, and you all report the news to the American people, to know that we have a good relationship that is built on a foundation of trust. And I have worked hard to earn that trust and I think I've earned that trust with you all. And it's your job to duly report to the American people, and I'm confident that you all will when you look at the facts and look at everything that's been said and where we are today. And at some point, I look forward to talking more about it.

But let me step back for a second, too, because part of my job is to be an advocate for the President, and I'm going to vigorously defend his decisions and his policies, and help him to advance his agenda. But I've another important responsibility, as well -- it's something that we all, I think and hope, share in this room -- that is to make sure that the American people get an accurate account of what's going on here in Washington, D.C. And I work hard to meet both those responsibilities.

Q But don't you think, Scott, that that second part of your job has been damaged, your credibility has been damaged by this?

MR. McCLELLAN: For me to even respond to that question would force me to talk about an ongoing investigation and legal proceeding, and we've been directed not to do that. Whether or not that puts me in a difficult position is another matter. But I have enough confidence in the relationship that we've built over the last few years to be able to move forward, and for you all to know that what I'm saying from this podium is based on the facts and based on me working to provide an accurate account of what's going on here in Washington, D.C.

Q Is Karl Rove back at work --

MR. McCLELLAN: And -- let me finish -- in other words, Terry, you can't answer that question without it being viewed in the context of an ongoing investigation, an ongoing legal proceeding, and that's why I can't go further than that at this point.

Q But doesn't, then, that make it impossible for you to do your job with as much credibility as that podium demands?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, not at all, because of the relationship that we've built between me and the press corps, and I think I've earned with the American people, too. I've tried hard to earn that trust and I think I've done my part to maintain that trust.

Overall, it was an ugly briefing.

I think it's really ironic that Gregory and Moran, partisan hacks, have the nerve to attack McClellan's credibility.

One does not have to look too far to find serious credibility problems at NBC, ABC, and the ultra-dishonest CBS.


Whatever McClellan is getting paid to be White House Press Secretary, it's not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment