Saturday, April 15, 2006

Resurrection


Pope Benedict at the Easter Vigil


VATICAN CITY (AP) -- Pope Benedict XVI ushered in Easter services late Saturday with a dramatic, candlelit vigil in St. Peter's Basilica, saying Christ's resurrection was "the most crucial leap" in the history of mankind.

The bells of St. Peter's tolled across Rome as midnight approached to herald in Easter, when the faithful celebrate the resurrection of Jesus after his crucifixion on Good Friday.

...At the start of Saturday night's lengthy vigil, Benedict entered the darkened basilica in silence, holding in front of him a single white candle. Its flame was then shared with others until slowly the whole basilica began to twinkle with candles held by the thousands of faithful gathered for the chant-filled service.

...During the service, Benedict baptized seven people — a rite he said was more than a simple washing or purification of the soul.

"It is truly death and resurrection, rebirth, transformation to a new life," he said.

I wasn't at St. Peter's for the Easter Vigil Mass.

I attended the service at my own parish church. Yes, it's a different continent, but the beliefs and the rituals are the same.

The Easter Vigil is not something that just happens in Vatican City. It happens all over the world, as Catholics celebrate the Resurrection of Christ.

The service is lengthy, but it doesn't seem long. It is packed with symbolism and beauty.

Just like at St. Peter's Basilica, the Easter Vigil begins in the dark, symbolizing the darkness of the world without Jesus. The priest lights the Paschal candle and that flame is passed from person to person, candle to candle, until the church is glowing with light -- hope.

Out of darkness, light.

In addition to the fire, there is the water of baptism, in which sins are washed away, and the faithful renew their baptismal vows.

Then, catechumens are confirmed.

It's a moving celebration of initiation, rebirth, and life.

Out of the sadness and death of Good Friday, comes Easter joy.

During the Vigil, I thought of the two missing Milwaukee boys, Quadrevion Henning and Purvis Parker, found drowned in the pond of a park. I thought of their short lives and the tragedy of their deaths.

I also thought of the military families that lost a loved one in Iraq or Afghanistan, and I thought of those struggling with illness of the body or the soul. So much suffering and grieving.

How can they be rejoicing this Easter?

I've found that at the lowest points in my life, my faith has been the strongest. For me, the message of Easter resonated more clearly than ever at those times. Rather than feeling abandoned or angry that I had challenges and my life was far from perfect, I still felt blessed.

I hope that this Easter, in the midst of their sorrow, the despairing are able to find comfort in their faith, and hope in the promise of the Resurrection.


No comments:

Post a Comment