Saturday, April 1, 2006

To Tell the Truth

The images of the "happy to be free" Jill Carroll that were broadcast around the world on Thursday were deceiving.

Her words from that day are dramatically different from her words today, now that she is out of Iraq and safe.

Carroll is still thrilled that she was released. That was true then and is true now.

However, her insistence that she was never threatened was made under coercion. Carroll says that she was, in fact, threatened repeatedly.

That makes sense.

Carroll's statement

(Excerpt)


Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not. The people who kidnapped me and murdered Alan Enwiya are criminals, at best. They robbed Alan of his life and devastated his family. They put me, my family and my friends--and all those around the world, who have prayed so fervently for my release--through a horrific experience. I was, and remain, deeply angry with the people who did this.

I also gave a TV interview to the Iraqi Islamic Party shortly after my release. The party had promised me the interview would never be aired on television, and broke their word. At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear I said I wasn't threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times.

Also, at least two false statements about me have been widely aired: That I refused to travel and cooperate with the US military and that I refused to discuss my captivity with US officials. Again, neither is true.

...I abhor all who kidnap and murder civilians, and my captors are clearly guilty of both crimes.


The comments that Carroll made in the interview that aired on Baghdad Television in Iraq, and then on CNN, were difficult to reconcile with the video of her weeping, broadcast at the end of January.

What was especially bizarre was that the interview took place after she had been freed.


I believe Carroll when she says that she spoke out of fear and did not feel free to tell the truth about her experience as a hostage, even though she had been released already.

If I were in her position, I wouldn't have felt comfortable until I was out of Iraq and in the care of Americans. I would have said whatever I needed to say to get back to my family.

I completely understand why Carroll said the anti-American stuff. She shouldn't be criticized for any of that. That's what it took to regain her freedom. I would have done the same thing. And, like Carroll, I would issue a statement as soon as possible to clarify my views and explain my behavior.


Thank God she did not suffer the same fate as Tom Fox and others that have been executed by their captors.

I only hope that word of her statement today gets broadcast on Baghdad Television, and carried by media throughout the world.

The world heard the lies that Carroll said under duress, that she wasn't ever threatened and that she was treated very well while in captivity.

Now, the world must hear that Carroll does not think kindly of her captors and the murderers of Alan Enwiya.

That's the truth.

I'm sure insurgent sympathizers will be disappointed by Carroll's statement.

I am relieved.



No comments:

Post a Comment