Thursday, May 26, 2005

DON'T CRY FOR ME, VOINOVICH!




Democracy Now! writes:

Republican Senator Voinovich Pleads With Colleagues to Reject Bolton

And on Capitol Hill, the full Senate has opened debate on John Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations. During the most dramatic moment of the debate Republican George Voinovich choked back tears as he plead with his colleagues not to vote for Bolton. Voinovich said "I don't want to take the risk. I came back here and ran for a second term because I'm worried about my kids and my grandchildren. And I just hope my colleagues will take the time and... do some serious thinking about whether or not we should send John Bolton to the United Nations."

I think Voinovich may be buckling under the stress of being a U.S. Senator.

Calling Dr. Phil...

It's possible that the prospect of Bolton being confirmed as ambassador to the UN has touched him deeply and he truly fears for his family.

I think it's far more likely he's crying over the feedback he has received from constituents and Americans all over the country. Undercutting President Bush's nomination and delaying a committee vote, when he applied his "kitchen test" to Bolton, no doubt elicted some strong reaction.

He also could be crying because he has so many regrets. He didn't even bother to attend the Bolton hearings. That doesn't exactly sound like a man who cares about his family or his country.

No comments:

Post a Comment