Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Dennis Getto

Today is the first time I've seen a photo of a columnist that I've read for years.

I never knew what he looked like, but I felt like I knew him. I knew what he liked when it came to dining. I knew that he loved his job and found great joy in some of the simplest of life's pleasures, like caramel cashew custard from Kopp's.

I am so saddened to hear of the passing of Milwaukee Journal Sentinel restaurant critic Dennis Getto.

In terms of enhancing the quality of life in southeastern Wisconsin, Getto really was an asset. I think his critiques encouraged restaurateurs to excel.

Reading his reviews or listening to him talk (on radio, of course), one couldn't help but get caught up in his enthusiasm for all the wonderful places that the Milwaukee area, and beyond, has to offer.

Getto would get as excited about a hot dog place as he would about an expensive, elegant place. He wasn't a pretentious, snooty critic. Even when he gave a place a bad review, he did it gently, like a good teacher correcting a student.

It was clear that he loved to share what he knew with his readers.

His annual "best" lists were always fun to read. There always was a new find, someplace new to explore, something new to try.

I don't know what we'll do without him.

He will be greatly missed.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.
_______________________

Read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment