Thursday, April 24, 2008

Brett Favre and David Letterman



Last night, Brett Favre was a guest on Late Show with David Letterman.

I think his appearance had something to do with the promotion of the new Madden '09 Xbox 360 game. Favre is on the cover.

Letterman and Favre talked about the NFC Championship game. It was weird. It seemed like ancient history.

Of course, it was retirement talk that generated more questions than answers about Favre's future.

From the Wausau Daily Herald:

Brett Favre repeated today that he has retired from pro football but admitted to TV host David Letterman that as the Packers’ training camp gets close, “something’s bound to happen.”

Dressed in jeans, a button-down shirt and a tan blazer for a taping of CBS' "Late Show" to be broadcast tonight, Favre was evasive when Letterman asked what he meant by the comment.

“I don’t know,” Favre said. “Did I just say that?”

“You just said ‘something’s bound to happen,’ so this makes me think you’re not retired,” Letterman said.

“Butterflies, so – I don’t know, something’s bound to happen,” Favre said.

When Favre said he wouldn’t miss minicamps, Letterman asked him if he would be interested in playing if adjustments could be made for his summer training schedule.

“Can you get that worked (out)?” Favre asked.

“Yes, yes, I can. I can take care of that,” Letterman replied, and the audience laughed and applauded.

But the conversation then focused on Favre’s successor Aaron Rodgers (“I think he’ll do well:” Favre) and the impact of Favre’s retirement on Green Bay.

“But you, you’re not only the heart and soul of football, but my God, what have you, you’ve turned that town upside down,” Letterman said. “What is Green Bay doing? I heard they’re shutting down the town. I heard they’re closing up and they’re moving to Michigan.”

Letterman asked Favre about signing the retirement form.

Favre said he still hadn't signed it. He said he believed the only reason to sign it is so he gets a severance check.

Although he was a bit wishy washy in his remarks, Favre definitely said he is retired.

At this point, if he plays in the NFL, he'll have to come out of retirement.

Then again, technically, I guess he's not officially retired because he hasn't signed the form.

I really don't get why he hasn't done that.

_______________

CBS video is available here.
_______________

Packers Blog has video and the interview transcript.

No comments:

Post a Comment