Thursday, October 25, 2007

Wisconsin Blogosphere Ugly

I've just been catching up on the Left-Right drama taking place among some Wisconsin bloggers, specifically the vile attacks on Jessica McBride by Illusory Tenant and Jim Bouman.

There's debate about which side is uglier.

Are the liberal bloggers more offensive? Do conservatives go over the line more often?

Each side can cite examples of foul cyber-behavior. Others have done that already so I won't bother to add to the list.

Naturally, I'm biased about which side stoops lower. I've been the target of some horrible attacks. I've experienced really hateful stuff, some from anonymous sources and some from sources that I could hold accountable.

If I feel myself becoming desensitized to the vitriol that too often passes for discourse on the Internet, I will leave and not return.

I refuse to accept terribly degrading names, particularly demeaning insults, extremely vulgar language, cyberstalking, and physical threats as typical, everyday Internet behavior.

I see that stuff as a really disturbing social trend, the coarsening of the culture.

It's as if some people find it acceptable to check their consciences at the door when they enter cyberspace.

The comfort of supposed anonymity brings out the worst in some people. There's nothing about the Internet in itself that creates their detestable behavior. But I think it provides some really sick people with an opportunity to express a side of their true selves that might otherwise remain hidden.

Illusory Tenant's use of the C-word to refer to Jessica McBride is an example.

After Illusory Tenant issued an apology of sorts,
JIM BOUMAN goes beyond using vulgarities and strikes at McBrides's family, her children. That speaks volumes about Jim Bouman the person, not Jim Bouman as an Internet personality.

(Note: Bouman has also apologized to McBride.)

I can empathize with her. One's family, especially one's children, should be strictly off limits. Debates can become heated. There can be bad feelings; but the feuding should stop with the parties involved and not ensnare innocents.

What troubles me most is the complete absence of shame, the "I can say what I want and no one will ever find out" attitude.

I don't care whether one's real identity is a secret to most. Only a bad person would spew insults and mercilessly harass another human being rather than dealing with disagreements in a civil fashion.

When ADULTS act like junior high school bullies, there's a problem, a serious lack of maturity and character and decency.

Just because one is tapping away at a keyboard and staring at a monitor rather than speaking while looking into someone's eyes does NOT permit one to chuck one's values.

Things are said and done online that probably wouldn't happen in face to face interaction. Hate seems to come too easily.

I think the ugliness flows because of a sense of detachment. There's a type of dehumanization that occurs in the absence of flesh and blood.

Never forget you're interacting with real people.

No comments:

Post a Comment