Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Wisconsin Does NOT Spell Success for Kids

I knew The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel would highlight this lame survey, but I didn't think it would receive such prominence.


Giving Wisconsin strong scores for both home life and school life, the authors of a report released Wednesday said children raised in the Badger State have the eighth best chance in the United States of succeeding in life.

I wrote about this yesterday.

No need to go into detail, repeating myself.

However, I will repeat the bottom line:

The fact is the odds of success aren't good if kids don't graduate from high school.

Only 55% of African-American Wisconsin kids graduate -- the SECOND-LOWEST rate in the U.S.

How does that spell success?


The JS headline should read "State has right mix for success -- but not for African-American kids."

I don't think Jim Doyle and his administration should be patting themselves on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment