Friday, July 15, 2005

Don't Bury Me 'Cause I'm Not Dead Yet

Yesterday, Chief Justice William Rehnquist was released after a brief hospital stay. He had been suffering from a high fever.

Naturally, his health problems have fueled speculation about his retirement from the Supreme Court.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, denying rumors of his retirement, said Thursday he will continue heading the court as long his health permits. "I'm not about to announce my retirement," he said in a statement obtained by The Associated Press.

"I want to put to rest the speculation and unfounded rumors of my imminent retirement," said Rehnquist, 80, and ailing with thyroid cancer. "I am not about to announce my retirement. I will continue to perform my duties as chief justice as long as my health permits."

In effect, Rehnquist has no plans to hang up his black robe, adorned with the four golden bars on each sleeve.

He has five words for those assuming his retirement is imminent---From my cold, dead hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment