Wednesday, January 23, 2008

ESPN's Dana Jacobson and Jesus

How to mess up your career without really trying...
ESPN ANCHORWOMAN TRASHES JESUS CHRIST

According to some news and sports websites, ESPN anchorwoman Dana Jacobson graphically attacked Jesus Christ at a recent roast of her colleagues; she was reportedly intoxicated. At the January 11 event, Jacobson roared from the podium, “F*** Notre Dame,” “F*** Touchdown Jesus,” and finally “F*** Jesus.”

Wow! That is bad! That's really awful!
Commenting on this is Catholic League president Bill Donohue:

“When pressed on this issue, ESPN’s response is to e-mail a statement by Jacobson, which includes the following: ‘My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words.’

“This response fails on several counts. First, there is no evidence that ESPN is taking this matter seriously. Are we to believe that her hate speech is of no consequence? Her comments were not made at a private function, rather they were made at a public event where she represented ESPN. Second, it is worth recalling that it was during a luncheon interview that Jimmy ‘The Greek’ Snyder made his racist remarks about blacks, and CBS Sports promptly fired him anyway. Third, it is also important to note that being drunk didn’t help Mel Gibson’s case when he made bigoted remarks about Jews.

“Then there is the matter of Jacobson’s so-called apology. By far the most offensive thing she said, ‘F*** Jesus,’ isn’t even addressed! It is obvious, then, that neither Jacobson nor ESPN is dealing with this matter in a professional way. To put this issue behind them, ESPN must deal with this issue quickly, publicly and fairly, something it has yet to do. After all, most Christians are yet unaware of this event, but once they learn of it, they are sure to demand accountability.”

Here's more, from the Detroit Free Press:
" ... Jacobson made an absolute fool of herself, swilling vodka from a Belvedere bottle, mumbling along and cursing like a sailor as Mike & Mike rested their heads in their hands in embarrassment."

Jacobson, a Bloomfield Hills native and Michigan grad, reportedly dropped F-bombs on roastee Mike Golic's alma mater, Notre Dame -- with football coach Charlie Weis in the crowd.

Jacobson said Tuesday in a statement: "I am sorry. My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words. ...

"My actions at the roast were inappropriate and in no way represent who I am. I won't make excuses for my behavior, but I do hope I can be forgiven for such a poor lack of judgment."

I don't see how that simple apology is going to be enough to assuage the outrage from what's sure to be a lot of offended Christians.

How can Jacobson possibly claim, "[I] did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words"?

POORLY CHOSEN WORDS??? DIDN'T MEAN ANYTHING DEROGATORY???

She's got to be kidding.

"F*** Jesus."

That goes way beyond poorly chosen and derogatory. If she had said, "F*** Allah," there would be riots.

Her claim, "My actions at the roast were inappropriate and in no way represent who I am," is stupid.

Of course her actions represent who she is.

Her drunkenness is no excuse.

I think the only way that Jacobson can be redeemed is for her to make a weepy statement begging forgiveness, say that she's an alcoholic, and follow that up with a stint in rehab.

Then again, she trashed Jesus. Maybe no further apology is necessary.

________________

More.

No comments:

Post a Comment