Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Packers' Almost Storybook Season


Bart Starr talks with Brett Favre prior to the game. (Photo/AP)


Do you believe in miracles?

I do.

When the season began, the thought of the 2007 Packers being a contender to make it to the Super Bowl was a dream, as in it would take a miracle for that to happen.

But after trouncing the Seahawks, we had good reason to believe that the Packers were going to make it to the Super Bowl this year.

I was still believing it when the NFC championship game went into overtime.

While the
Packers didn't become the NFC champions, and they won't be on their way to play in Super Bowl XLII, what they accomplished this season was incredible.

There's no denying that.

The game yesterday was such a roller coaster. I'm exhausted. And I would be lying to say that I'm not terribly disappointed with its outcome.

Of course, I'm disappointed.

I thought there would be a dramatic Packer victory, an exciting ending to the hard-fought game, just like in the Ice Bowl.

It didn't happen.

Not to be Pollyanna about it, but I think it's appropriate to focus on all the good that did happen this season and all that can happen next year.

Mike McCarthy, Brett Favre, and the team were great, especially last week. Everything was clicking.

Now, because the team didn't play nearly as well as in the game against the Giants, they've suddenly morphed into unprepared, sloppy, no talent, losers.

Angry "fans" are calling for Favre to retire.

I didn't hear anyone doing that after the Seahawks game.

Those knee-jerk reactions are irrational, utterly ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with rational critiques of the Packers' performance. I do have a problem with reactions that seem grounded in bipolar disorders.

Bottom line:


----The Packers are capable of playing much better than they did against the Giants. Letting a trip to the Super Bowl get away is a bitter loss.

----The Packers had a dramatically better season and performed dramatically better than anyone expected. It's not a stretch to call it miraculous.

----A 14-4 record and taking the NFC championship game into overtime is an enormous accomplishment.

I, for one, am grateful to the team and the entire Packer organization for their hard work and dedication that made this fantastic season a reality.


And in spite of how it ended, I will remember it as being fantastic rather than failed.


No comments:

Post a Comment