Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Romney and Late Night Audience Participation

On Tuesday, Mitt Romney announced that he is running for president.

The media attention he received was equivalent to a one paragraph blurb on a back page compared to last weekend's Barack Obama Fest, including the coronation by 60 Minutes.

Romney's announcement did warrant a mention on Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

As the set up for a joke, O'Brien said that Mitt Romney officially entered the presidential race.

A few members of the audience applauded. Some others actually booed.


The booing caught me off guard. It was an unexpectedly strong response. I didn't realize negative emotions ran so high about Romney.

Then came the "joke."

O'BRIEN:
Romney is planning on winning the Soccer Mom vote by marrying all of them.

The reaction to the punch line was similar to O'Brien's initial utterance of Romney's name -- decidedly mixed.

There were laughs and applause as well as boos.

First, I was surprised that some people in the audience were so hostile at the mere mention of Romney.

Talk about mean-spirited!

I don't hear audience members boo and hiss when a comedian says a Dem's name.

Second, I'm uncomfortable about the ease with which the media and comedians like O'Brien bash Mormonism.

Sure, the Constitution gives Americans the right to be jerks. I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't be allowed to voice their intolerance. Americans can proudly proclaim that they are bigoted. It's a great country!

I guess I'm just taken aback by how frequently and how unapologetically people are when it comes to mocking Romney's faith.


The attacks are troubling to me, and I'm not a Mormon or a Romney supporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment