Sunday, February 4, 2007

Super Bowl XLI Observations


Indianapolis Colts' quarterback Peyton Manning (R) hugs his head coach Tony Dungy, while holding the Vince Lombardi Trophy, after defeating the Chicago Bears to win the NFL's Super Bowl XLI football game in Miami, Florida, February 4, 2007. Manning was named MVP of the game. REUTERS/Mike Blake (UNITED STATES)

The champs of Super Bowl XLI are the Colts!

There's no joy in Bearville tonight.

As a Packer fan, I'm happy.

Super Bowl titles:

Minnesota -- 0

Chicago -- 1

Green Bay -- 3

Here is an account of the game from the Associated Press.

Also from AP,
here is a review of the Super Bowl entertainment.

I wasn't able to watch every moment of the broadcast. Someone has to feed and clean up after those who do.


So, from what I did see, here are a few random observations:
-- I couldn't believe that CBS trotted out Katie Couric during the pre-game show. Super Bowl viewers should not be ambushed and forced to put up with Couric.
Katie Couric, who can chant "We're No. 3" about CBS News, joined the guys, for yet another "very touching story indeed," as Brown put it after introducing the high-priced "Evening News" anchorwoman by citing her sports reporting credibility. ("She brings a sports background to the desk. She ran track — an outstanding cheerleader").


HAHAHA



(Photo/mediabistro)

-- When the coverage of the game began, around 5:00 pm CT, there was a taped intro with a montage of Colts and Bears players talking about the game being "60 Minutes." The players said things like: I have "60 Minutes" to become a champion. I have "60 Minutes" to do what I've spent a lifetime dreaming about. For "60 Minutes" I will give it all I've got. The one thing that linked the players' comments together was "60 Minutes."

I thought it was a cheap move by CBS to promote 60 Minutes. If one or two players referenced the "60 Minutes" of an NFL game, I wouldn't call it that. I'd consider it just a coincidence, but this seemed like a commercial. I expected Morley Safer to pop up.

-- I give Billy Joel's version of the National Anthem a passing mark. It was a straight forward rendition, nothing special. Actually, I liked that. He didn't showcase himself like some singers do when given that assignment. He sang the Anthem without a lot of added flourish. That was a nice change.


REUTERS/Pierre Ducharme (UNITED STATES)

-- While the rain had to be a nightmare for the crowd and tough on the players, the difficult conditions made the game more exciting. The sloppy play could be chalked up to the elements.

-- Half time was great. I really liked Prince's performance and I don't consider myself a diehard fan by any means. It had an energy and electricity that's been missing recently. Paul McCartney was so boring. Even the Rolling Stones were dull.



REUTERS/Shaun Best (UNITED STATES)

The New York Times declared Prince to be an "American treasure" and called his performance "noncontroversial." Hmmm -- American treasure? True, there was no Janet Jackson-style wardrobe malfunction, but there was one sort of risqué image. At one point, Prince was behind a billowing sheet. Because of the shape of his guitar, a certain angle of his silhouette was...let's say eye-catching.

It was very brief, but I wasn't the only one to notice.

It's not just my mind that travels in that direction.

This photo gives you an idea, but it's not the specific image that drew our attention. It's close, but no cigar.



REUTERS/Shaun Best (UNITED STATES)

While watching the broadcast, I didn't notice Prince striking this pose, gesturing during his performance. I'm sure it was a split second move captured by a quick shutter.


REUTERS/Mike Blake (UNITED STATES)

Anyway, Prince put on an impressive show. Very well done.

-- The commercials were a disappointment. This wasn't a good year. No standouts.

-- Lovie Smith is a class act. He was so gracious in his post-game interview. I hope kids watching noted how he acted in defeat. He's a great role model.

-- Tony Dungy is also a class act. I have such respect for him. His life has been far from perfect, yet his faith in God remains strong and he's not afraid to say it. He said he was proud to be the first African-American coach to win a Super Bowl. He also wanted to make it clear that he's a Christian coach. What a great role model! What a humble man! Like Smith, Dungy's style should be noted and copied.

-- MVP Peyton Manning is a good winner, too. He reminds me of Brett Favre.



No comments:

Post a Comment