Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Charlie Rose and William F. Buckley, Jr.

"An Appreciation of William F. Buckley," the February 27, 2008 episode of Charlie Rose, was bittersweet.

It was a compilation of segments from interviews William F. Buckley, Jr. had done with Charlie Rose through the years.

The hour passed much, much too quickly.

At the end of the program, Rose paid tribute to his friend. It was truly very touching. Rose was visibly moved.

As a viewer, so was I.

Rose said:

So Bill Buckley left us this morning. He was probably more ready than we were.

As much as anyone, I valued him. When I came to this city and started doing this show 16 years ago, I was little-known and had not made my mark in life. He came on and then he sent me a hand-written note with enormous flattery and I live with the hope I didn't disappoint his early prophesy.

We became friends. Several years ago when I was sick and came back from near death, he called and wanted to take me to dinner. He wanted me to sail and I never accepted; until one evening he said to me, "I'm not sailing anymore. I'm not doing a lot of the things I used to do anymore."

Why don't I ever learn? There is not always tomorrow.

I last saw him at Pat's memorial service and I knew her death was the last crushing disappointment for him. People were walking by as he sat in a chair in the front row after the service. I was last in line and when I stopped he looked up, and he saw me, then he started crying. And I said, "I'll come see you," thinking there will always be a tomorrow.

And now he is gone. There is no tomorrow. But what a life, what a man, and what a friend!

We think of the wife he joins, and the son he leaves, and the rest of the Buckley clan.

Goodnight, Bill. Goodnight to you.

_________________

The program is definitely worth watching.

Video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment