Monday, September 25, 2006

Jerry Falwell, Hillary Clinton, and Lucifer

Another stupid remark, another demand for an apology.

There always seems to be some sort of demand for an "I'm sorry." I'm not saying that at least some of the apologies aren't deserved. I'm just saying that we're in an era of hypersensitivity.

Jerry Falwell's comment about Hillary Clinton and Lucifer is a case in point.

At the "Value Voter Summit," Falwell said to a group of pastors and religious activists, "I hope she's the candidate because nothing will energize my [constituency] like Hillary Clinton.

"If Lucifer ran, he wouldn't."

Although Falwell said on Sunday that his comments were "tongue-in-cheek," the Hillary camp didn't appreciate the hyperbole.


RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- ...Clinton press secretary Philippe Reines said Sunday, "Working for someone who believes in the Golden Rule, we're not going to engage in such vitriolic discourse -- but it seems that a new low has been reached in demonizing political opponents."

Falwell told the AP that he did not intend to demonize the former first lady. "That was totally tongue-in-cheek, and everyone in the building knew that and everyone laughed," Falwell said.

The phony outrage on the part of Hillary's people is all politics.

Falwell's comment was extreme, no question about it, but I'd hardly call it a "new low" ... in demonizing political opponents.

I an not excusing Falwell.

I'm Christian, but Jerry Falwell doesn't speak for me. I hereby officially condemn his remarks. Frankly, I think he's a nut.

The question here is not whether Falwell said something stupid; the question is whether Hillary's camp should be bothered by it?

I don't think so.

Just as the White House wouldn't dignify Hugo Chavez's idiotic UN remarks about President Bush with a response, I think it would have been much more effective if Hillary's people would have reacted to Falwell's lunacy in a similar fashion.

In Chavez's address to the UN General Assembly last week, he referred to President Bush as the devil at least eight times.

Wisely, the White House ignored Chavez. By doing so, it didn't legitimize Chavez or his words.

Hillary's campaign wants to play games.

There is no way that Falwell's Lucifer comment hits a new low in demonizing political opponents. There's just no way.

We know that Hillary is incredibly thick-skinned. She's married to Bill. She'd have to be.

By whining about the offensive remarks, Hillary gives Falwell far more influence than he deserves.

Finally, I can honestly say that if Lucifer were running against Hillary I would vote for Hillary.

No comments:

Post a Comment