Friday, May 18, 2007

Favre Speaks: "We're Fine"

When Brett Favre addressed the media from minicamp in Green Bay today, he downplayed the drama that's engulfed the Packers and his future with the team.

Favre said the rumors about him wanting to be traded are false.

He said that he had a "good talk" with Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson. No problems there.

Favre said that people have been circulating a lot of untrue statements.

He said, "I don't think anyone can question my leadership." A number of times, he referred to his ability to lead the team.

Basically, Favre blamed all the recent drama on the media's need to get ratings and sell papers.

Favre has not lost confidence.


He said, "I can be the difference-maker."

"What's been said, what's been done is over."

"There's no hard feelings."

"I want to win regardless of who's on this team or not on this team."

When asked about hits he's been taking from fans, Favre said, "Their opinion is their opinion."

"I don't want them to question my leadership and character especially when I know the truth."

"I'd do anything for this team and that hasn't changed."

On his attendance at minicamp, Favre simply said, "I just really didn't want to come. I'm glad I'm here and this will be over and done with."


He didn't look glad to me.

A few times, he said, "It's a non-issue."


I definitely got the impression that Favre was annoyed that he had to spend time talking to the media.


On his relationship with Ted Thompson, Favre insisted, "I'm fine with Ted."

"I'm not here to judge the way he runs this team."

"We're fine. I don't have to agree with everything he does...but we're fine."

About Randy Moss not wearing the Green and Gold this season, Favre said, "I think he could have helped this team. Once again, it's over and done."

As far as his relationship with his teammates goes, Favre said, "We're fine."

So everyone is fine.

Any anger Favre showed was directed at the media.

He clearly blamed them for forcing him to show up at minicamp. If not for the uproar in the press, he probably wouldn't have been in Green Bay.

He was especially ticked off with suggestions that he had dissed his teammates. He challenged the media to find one instance when he talked disparagingly about the other guys on the team.

The press conference ended rather abruptly and on that somewhat angry note.

Bottom line:

Favre is "fine" with the team.

Everybody is "fine."

But he's not happy with the press.

Is this the end of the Favre drama?

Has this press conference effectively put the rumors to rest?

I certainly hope so, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment