Monday, May 7, 2007

Starbucks and God


(Photo/ Dayton Daily News)

Would you like a little splash of Atheism with your Starbucks coffee?

From WorldNetDaily:

An Ohio woman is steaming after reading an anti-God message published on the side of a Starbucks coffee cup.

The message that got Michelle Incanno's blood boiling reads:

"Why in moments of crisis do we ask God for strength and help? As cognitive beings, why would we ask something that may well be a figment of our imaginations for guidance? Why not search inside ourselves for the power to overcome? After all, we are strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure."

The quote was written by Bill Schell, a Starbucks customer from London, Ontario, Canada, and was included as part of an effort by the Seattle-based coffee giant to collect different viewpoints and spur discussion.

"As someone who loves God, I was so offended by that," Michelle Incanno, a married mother of three who is Catholic, told the Dayton Daily News. "I don't think there needs to be religious dialogue on it. I just want coffee."

Like the woman from Ohio, I'm Catholic.

Does it bother me when people mock my faith?

Of course it does; but I'm used to it. The assaults on the Catholic Church are constant.

Would it bug me if my coffee cup had a quote dissing my belief in God?

Sure.

However, I think there are other battles in this world far more worthy of my energy than crusading against sayings printed on a coffee cup.

I'd rather have free speech than suppression.


It follows that I'm not always going to like what others have to say. (Rosie O'Donnell and Bill Maher and Harry Reid and Jimmy Carter come to mind.)

I can't imagine Starbucks having a cup that says something like, "Jesus is your salvation."

How do you think the Starbucks lib patrons would react to that?

Do you think that many of the self-proclaimed sophisticated "intellectuals" that frequent Starbucks would appreciate that?

I highly doubt it.

The "too cool for religion" crowd would probably freak out if it was served Starbucks coffee with pro-God sayings on cups.

Apparently, a quote from Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, appears on a cup. So Starbucks does use a quote that acknowledges a Supreme Being.

I guess the Freedom From Religion Foundation doesn't know about that.

Also worth noting: The Starbucks website has a page welcoming patrons to offer submissions for the sayings on its cups. The Ohio woman could submit some Bible passages.

I think free speech is always best answered with more free speech.

Although I really do understand how she feels, I think Michelle Incanno needs to relax a bit. Maybe she should try consuming less caffeine, take it down a notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment